When and if the time comes to handing your child over to a stranger, you need to be fully informed of the different types of childcare services. This can be a daunting task for any parent and the type of childcare that you need will depend on your needs, your child’s needs and the type of childcare that you prefer. There are a number of options when it comes to childcare. Services can be Community or privately run, centre based in a childcare facility or home based in your or the carers home.

Sessional Services:

A sessional service refers to a programme for children for up to 3.5 hours per session.  Services may offer morning and/or afternoon session.

Part-Time Services:

A part-time daycare service refers to a programme for children over 3.5 hours and less than 5 hours per day.

Full Day Services:

A full day care service refers to a programme of activities for children for more than 5 hours per day.  A full day service may include sessional and part-time services and School Age Childcare services for children attending primary school.

School Age Services:

A School Age service provides for the care needs of children before school starts in the morning after school finishes in the afternoon and during school holidays and pre-planned school closures.


Childminding services refer to care for children within childminders home.

Choosing a Childminder – A Guide for Parents

A List of approved Carlow Early Years’ Services can be found here.

A List of approved  School Age Services can be found here.

For further information please contact Carlow CCC. 059 9140244